Personal lOGO

Personal lOGO

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Athletes and Social Media: Where is the line drawn?



A topic surrounding the Sports industry that I believe has an impact now and will have a greater impact down the road is social networks. Since the inception of the Internet, the World Wide Web itself has introduced us to a new era of exposure and interaction. With the way that technology has improved over the last decade, the Internet has taken us all by storm. We are all amazed and consumed by the access given to us provided by the Internet. Media has then been exploited as well and has surged to lean on social media sites as an outlet.

            The more interesting aspect for me of course is how it has affected Sports. Growing up as a kid, I recalled not knowing what the faces of some of my favorite athletes looked like. I knew of them, but never had a sense of their looks or anything besides their sports. The bigger and more popular athletes were of course sponsored in ad’s, commercials, marketing materials, etc. As time went on and into the early ages of the Internet, it brought on the exposure I spoke of. Some of the guys I though of, I could now match a face with. I could now easily search for things about athletes that I wanted to know. Long before I knew, I could read stories about them, and maybe not only about them but maybe their friends and families too.

            After a while it then transitioned to social networks and media access. Fast forward to today in 2016, and I can access very personal aspects about my favorite athletes in seconds. I have parts of their lives at my fingertips as ling as I have a smartphone. I can see pictures of their family on Instagram, and see their thoughts on current sporting events on Twitter. This also has a direct effect on the images of some of these athletes. Now we know more about them and sometimes it is not what we wanted to know. The media protects them as these perfect “stars” with lavish lives, but their personal stories tell something different. What an athlete posts on these networks can damage them. It can cause young athletes to ruin their futures or veteran athletes to ruin contracts on sponsorship's. My question is, when it comes to social media in ports, where do we draw the line?

No comments:

Post a Comment